The EURO Hockey League is one of several leagues on the WebsimHockey.com. It began with a series of cities written by Richard Hamel and expanded and revised by Chris Patton (The Finnish Flash). The founder of the league was Chuck Massaro (lilgen) and the charter members of the league and the cities they selected were:
- Athens – Sports Monkey – Terry Moutafis (2nd owner – Marcel Kuchta) (3rd owner – Paul Fordsly)(4th owner – Justin Haines) (5th owner – Simo V)
- Bern – skates21 (2nd owner -myli Joe Page) (3rd owner – Jeremy Ducaine) (4th-owner – Donald Lockhart) (5th owner – Randy Rock) (6th owner – Paja Janssen)
- Belfast – The Finnish Flash – Chris Patton
- Berlin – Winfling (Guybrush Threepwood)
- Bratislava – lilgen – Chuck Massaro
- Copenhagen – dcallow – Dylan Callow (2nd owner – Martin Sayle)
- Dublin – ty00ty (2nd owner – Miester) (3rd owner – Brad Denea) (4th owner – Gayle Rock )
- Edinburgh – Pensctm (2nd owner – Marc Peninou) (3rd owner – John Charles jcc1644 )
- Geneva – ryguy007 (2nd owner – Joonas Komppa ) (3rd owner – Stas Pavlov) (4th owner – Andy Rolling)
- Gothenburg – rztipping (2nd owner – GM Legge – Chris Legge)(3rd owner – Austin Dwyer)
- Helsinki – KJ Dobbs (2nd owner – oldtimehockey – Trevor Grimm)(3rd owner-Michael Cronebach)
- Lisbon (formerly Frankfurt) – Davvon2590 (2nd owner – Sergey Blynskiy) (3rd owner – Fric Jagr) (4th owner – Bryan Camara)
- London – mitchellwk (2nd owner – gpaul926 – Geoffrey Paul) (3rd owner – Rodney Carringer) (4th owner -Mike Suk)
- Madrid – rjlavoie – Roland Lavoie (2nd owner – Tony B)
- Milan – jkellyAT (2nd owner – David Bell)
- Minsk – tserberis – Igor Kirunov
- Moscow – Ezec (2nd owner – mikesixtysix – Michael Banker) (3rd owner – Ronnie Walker) (4th owner – Ron Lavallee)
- Munich – nmddun (2nd owner – jcc1644) (3rd owner – Paulie18) (4th owner – Troy Huzy)(5th owner – Chad Legge)(6th owner – Mike Felter)(7th owner – Rocky H)(8th owner -Eli Broad) (9th owner – Grant Sayle)
- Oslo – Coach Frenchy (2nd owner – volcano62) (3rd owner – Chris Lee)
- Prague – JimmyFresco (2nd owner – Myli Joe Page) (3rd owner – jstups) (4th owner-Axel Bode) (5th owner – Peter Ott)
- Paris – Kadenella – Ralph Booth
- St. Petersburg – SergeiP (2nd owner – Mick71 – Michele Castaldini)(3rd owner – Ben Stuller)
- Stockholm – supersteph (2nd owner – soberboy) (3rd owner- Michael Sauer)
- Zurich – CAG (2nd owner – CristoWall) (3rd owner – warren pike)(4th owner – dsullo – Dennis Sullo)
Farm clubs: Click here
The league’s division names pay tribute to players and pioneers in European hockey history.
John Francis “Bunny” Ahearne (1900-1985).
Born in Wexford, Ireland, Ahearne was instrumental in bringing the sport to Great Britain. He became manager of the Great Britain national team in 1934, helping guide the team to Olympic gold in 1936 and European championships in 1937 and 1938. He was also either president or vice president of the International Ice Hockey Federation for two decades, in the mid 50s to the mid 70s.
Valeri Kharlamov (1948-1981)
The speedy and skilled Kharlamov was born in Moscow to a Russian father and a Spanish mother. Kharlamov was a key member of the power Soviet teams that dominated the international hockey scene in the 1970s. The team won 2 Olympic gold medals and 8 world championships with Kharlamov playing often on the top line with Vladimir Petrov and Boris Mikhailov. In 105 international games, he scored 156 points. With the Red Army team in the Soviet league, he scored 507 points in 438 games. He was killed, along with his wife and her cousin in the 1981 car accident.
Alois Schloder (1947-?)
Schloder, born in Landshut, was a top West German player who helped his country earn a bronze medal in the 1976 Winter Olympics in Innsbruck, Austria. He is also a member of the International Ice Hockey Federation Hall of Fame, having been inducted in 2005. He played both forward and defense and in the Bundesliga, with his hometown EV Landshut team, he racked up 496 goals and 457 assists in 806 games. In three Olympics, he scored 12 goals and had 6 assists in 20 games. He was captain of the West German team from 1971-78.
Pavol Demitra (1974-2011)
Demitra was born in Slovakia and began his career playing in the Czechoslavak Extraliga. IN the 9th round of the 1993 NHL draft, he was selected by the Ottawa Senators. His North American career began in the AHL with Prince Edward Island and continued with stints in Las Vegas and Grand Rapids in the IHL and with five NHL teams: Ottawa, St. Louis, Los Angeles, Minnesota and Vancouver. He played 847 NHL games and his best years came with the Blues, with whom he scored personal bests of 37 goals and 93 points. Teams that traded him didn’t get their money’s worth. Players coming back in two trades were Christer Olsson, Patrick O’Sullivan and Trevor Lewis. After his NHL career, Demitra went to Russia to play with Lokomotiv Yaroslavl, and he was among the victims of the tragic team plane crash on sept. 7, 2011.
Who scored the first goal in EURO history?
Jason Spezza, Bern, 48 seconds into the opening game against Geneva and goalie Kari Lehtonen. Assisting on the goal were Ray Whitney and Brent Seabrook.
First playoff goal? David Legwand, St. Petersburg, against London and goalie Marc-Andre Fleury. Assists went to Blake Wheeler and Willie Mitchell.
First hat trick? Jason Spezza, Bern vs. Geneva on the league’s first day.
Who sustained the first injury?
Dan Boyle of Munich, a leg injury in the third period of the Duns’ game against Athens.
Who was involved in the first fight?
Kyle Clifford of Minsk and Luca Sbisa of London in the first game ever for both teams. Clifford was declared the winner by all observers.
Antti Niemi of the Milan Guerriero shutout the Belfast Giants 2-0 on Oct. 3 (Game calendar). He made 25 saves.
First EURO Cup Final teams?
Copenhagen Tridents and Geneva Generals
First EURO Cup champ?
Bern traded its 8th Round pick in the initial draft, as well as its Round 1 and 2 picks in the Season 2 draft to Bratislava for the Eagles’ Round 5 pick in the initial draft. Bern used the pick to select Kimo Timonen and Bratislava used its picks to acquire Martin Erat, Weiyang Zhang and Leonardo Genoni.
Teams that have made the playoffs every year so far (After season 7)
Who is the only player to have reached the 100-point plateau in every EURO season? (through 6 seasons)
No one accomplished the feat. Steven Stamkos, Frankfurt/Lisbon, reached 100 points in each of the first five seasons. Evgeny Malkin, Paris, had 99 points in Season 2, but 100 or more in all other seasons through the end of Season 6.
Which was the first franchise to relocate?
Frankfurt moved to Lisbon between seasons 4 and 5. It was moved into the Demitra Division at the start of Season 8 after a league-wide vote the season before.
Who was the first player to be suspended relating to player discipline?
Par Arlbrandt of Milan received a 3-game suspension in Season 5 after an elbow to the head that injured Henrik Zetterberg of Bern.
Which is the first franchise to win the EURO Cup more than once?
Belfast Giants (Seasons 4 and 5, then again in Season7)
How many franchises have had just one owner since the start of the league?
Five (Paris, Minsk, Berlin, Belfast and Bratislava)